The Australian government is “expecting” to bring a formal case against China at the World Trade Organization (WTO) over barley anti-dumping duties.
Australian Trade Minister Simon Birmingham made the announcement on Sunday, a day after the Chinese government imposed provisional anti-dumping duties on Australian wine.
“I expect that will be the outcome,” Birmingham said in an interview with national broadcaster ABC when asked whether a WTO case against barley was in the pipeline.
“We are working through exactly when and making sure we have the evidence lined up.”
He said Australia outlined various concerns to the WTO’s trading goods committee last week, relating an “accumulation of instances from China of adverse trade decisions against Australia”.