This blog will wrap up shortly. Here the latest key developments at a glance:
- UK prime minister Boris Johnson has announced a second month-long national lockdown for England, as the UK surpassed 1m infections on Saturday.
- Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has urged Scots not to travel to England.
- The number of Covid-related hospitalisations hit record numbers in at least 14 European countries this week, as the second wave of the pandemic hit.
- Italy recorded 31,758 new coronavirus infections over the past 24 hours, the health ministry said on Saturday, its highest daily tally since the start of the pandemic.
- Austria announced a night-time curfew and the closure of cafes, bars and restaurants on Saturday amid “exploding” coronavirus infections.
- Brazilian health minister Eduardo Pazuello is in stable condition in a hospital after being diagnosed with Covid-19.