At a UK parliamentary hearing last week, a TikTok executive admitted that the company had censored content critical of China’s policy on Uygurs. But the company said it had stopped censoring “for at least over a year.”
A TikTok executive in the UK walked back an admission from last Thursday that the company had censored content, including videos that touched on China’s controversial Uygur policies in its far-western region of Xinjiang.
During a meeting with the UK parliament last week, Elizabeth Kanter, TikTok’s director of government relations and public policy in the UK, told the governing body, “In the early days of TikTok, there were some policies in place that took what we call blunt instruments to the way which content was censored.”
“There were some incidents where content was not allowed on the platform, specifically with regard to the Uygur situation,” Kanter added.
She said that the company had since changed its policies and stopped censoring content “for at least over a year.”